Dynamic host configuration protocoltechnology wise DHCP is basically a client server protocol which is set to provide IP address to other clients and networks. The DHCP server automatically triggers device like computers to request for IP address and networks from the internet providers.
Why is it important? One might wonder why we need a DHCP server or router. It significance is shown as you won’t need any network administrator or manual settings to connect to your device. DHCP works for both home and large office networks. It reduces all the work out of manual configuration and setting of devices trying to trace which networks works for who.
Configuration method of DHCP server in openwrt routers
Fact is the process might be tricky or even hard for first timers. Getting a local IP address on the DHCP server will take some time to configure especially in an openwrt firmware. In this case we try to configure LAN IP and DHCP in openwrt firmware.
Note the configuration of LAN and DHCP are taken separately as follows:
Configuring openwrt IP LAN
- Open your device and go to your browser, here type the IP address 192.168.1.1 click enter.
- On the homepage a openwrt page will show
- Key in default username and password, on the space provided.
- In most cases the username is root but for the password you don’t need to enter.
- Now login, the system will automatically show a yellow colored area. This a notification indicating password not set.
- Click on this area then set a strong but easy to remember password.
- After the password setting now change the openwrt IP address. This can be done following some options on the top of the page where one is required to select network option and select interface tab.
- The system will produce the interface information of the router.
- Check for the interfaces where each will show different colors. For the LAN the color is green while WAN is red in color.
- To configure the LAN, click on its button and it will be set according to its IP address.
IPV4 address: 192.168.1.1, enter new IP address.
IPV4 netmask: get a new net mask from a list of IP address.
Gateway IPV4: add according to what you prefer.
IPV4 broadcast just leave a blank space.
There you are done in configuring an openwrt IP LAN address. The process is simple to implement if well followed.
Configuration for DHCP server.
Openwrt firmware used for router purposes require DHCP enabling for proper functioning.
- Go to the openwrt page where you can check whether it is enabled or not. Check from the checkboxes which means enabled if check box is not marked and vise verse if checked.
- Go to the start IP which begins from 2 and end IP being the last one for the client.
- Check for this changed and click the save button to implement this changes.
- With this the configuration of the DHCP is done.
The process are simple but have to be followed strictly for positive results.