Email keeping is one of the best way to keep records safe. With great accounts like Gmail which provides large saving space. One wouldn’t imagine deleting old emails. We think of archiving or even creating different folder and saving them. However there comes a period when the emails become junk and you cannot handle them anymore.
No matter how organize you want your mail to look, you have to get to the deleting point. Now imagine the deleting process where you have select some emails then deleting. Ensuring you don’t delete important and recent email. I bet your answer is “the process is time consuming and tiring”. We want simple and quick processes to save time. This can be achieved with the recent digitalization and changes in the Gmail account to suit the service to its esteem users.
Filters and auto-delete are the best option to help delete the unwanted mails and saves you time. Here we have methods to help delete the old emails automatically. We have the filter and the permanent method which are both effective.
The filter method is a set up on your email account where the system will automatically delete messages which have stayed for a particular period. If the Gmail user set a period of one month, emails send with the month and stayed to the specified time will be deleted.
- First open your Gmail account and select the gear icon which is on the top of the page.
- Go to the setting tab and click on the Filters button.
- After this select the option create new filter.
- On the screen you will find a box written “has the word” this is just a text box where you fill in the time or period you would like to set.
- The option older than (X) where the X stands for the duration by which you need the emails to be deleted. Select the options D to stand for days, M to stand for month and Y to stand in for year.
- Example: older than: 50 D.
- Now select the create filter.
- A box given by the name “delete it and also apply filter to”. Will give the system to check the emails which fit and need to be filtered.
- With this all the emails with the said dates you set will be automatically be deleted.
Future Deletion Method
This is deletion of emails which were earlier than the specified duration on the filter method. The emails will be deleted same way but with a few settings.
- Login to the Gmail account.
- Select the gear icon and go to the setting tab and select filters.
- Click on the edit button which is just next to the filter tab.
- Here you will get the filter you specified in the filter method. Example being 50D.
- Now you need to select a period beyond that date in order to delete the emails which surpass the said date.
- Select the continue button and an option of “also apply filter too” will show.
- Click on the update and the messages before the specified time will be deleted.