Technology has engraved the heart of many, connecting internet to both our homes and offices. Telecom services providers have had booming business in selling internet at affordable prices. They come up with new gadgets daily therefore attracting user who crave for internet as everyday obsession.
With this in place getting the right installation or router has been the key issue. Disappointment from some companies who market their broadband and router gadgets only to get they don’t work as prescribed. Every manufacture wants to make money and fame by selling a gadget and branding the best features which will woo clients.
Ease the struggle and focus on the Linksys wireless router. Works with a combination of devices either in the offices or home based uses. You can connect to all the computers or devices by just configuring the router and connecting the internet to all your devices. Linksys wireless router is a popular brand which has different types of router like:
- Linksys WRT54G
- Linksys e4200
- Linksys WRT610
- Linksys e2000.
The list is endless regardless of the type one buys, configuring and setting up has been the challenge to many users. In this article we have steps to guide in router set up.
Configuration and setup process for Linksys wireless router
For a successful connect please follow the steps carefully
- First check for all gadgets: Ethernet cables, router etc.
- At the back of the router there is a port indicated as “internet or WAN”. Pick your Ethernet cable and plug in to internet port. On the other end plug the Ethernet cable to the modem.
- Use another Ethernet cable to connect your devices be it computers or laptops to the port indicated as 1,2,3,4 on your router. After the setup one can remove the Ethernet cable to have a wireless connection.
- Now plug in your router to power supply, give it time to power up and initialize. Check on the LED light on the front part of the router, they should be solid green.
- Go to the web browser of your computer or laptop and type IP address 192.168.1.1, press the enter button.
- On the password space enter “admin” leave the username space blank and click ok.
- Next you are required to change the “router name” on the setup page. It will appear with a unique name to helps distinguish it from other routers.
- On the menu check for the “save setting” tab and then click on the continue after all settings are completed.
- To make wireless, click “wireless” button which located on the top of the Linksys settings screen.
- Now again change the name of the wireless network. One can use the same name in the earlier step.
- On the same menu disable, the “wireless SSID broadcast” again press the save setting after all settings are complete.
- Press the continue button to display the menu bar.
- Click on the “wireless security”
- A sub-menu will open and select the WEP button. On the menu bar select 126 bits and 26 hex digits. Here you are requested to enter a password which is 6-8 characters.
- Click on the “generate” button and select the “save settings”and continue.
- This an optional choice where one can enable MAC filtering to enhance more security. Just select “wireless MAC filter”
- Select enable button and also click on the permit button to allow PC’s listed to access the network. Click on the continue button.
- Now edit the MAC filter list and fill in the MAC address of the PC’s you want to allow. Save and continue.
- Choose administration button and change the password for accessing the router and key in a new one. Confirm the new password, it should be different from what enter in WEP, save and continue. That the long but simple process.